Friday, May 21, 2010

I'm baaack........!!!

Do I dare crack open this other blog of mine and try to record my fitness journey? Should I dust “Morphing Myself” off and actually try, yet again, to morph myself?
My silence and utter secrecy that I even have this blog is not an indicator of having given up. It is just me not feeling like I have anything consistent to offer up in a blog format. My roller coaster ride doesn’t make for an interesting read. But, I am sure I have not fully explored the possibilities of journaling my plight to conquer the Standard American Diet (aka SAD) and my own lazy tendencies. I guess there’s part of me that expects to fail... and so I just lay low.
One of the blessings of marriage, and there are many, is sharing struggles with your mate. My husband and I both have a major sweet tooth and a yen for really good coffee (which goes great with dessert...) and have therefore had similar challenges in the eating right and exercising department. Sounds more like we are a bad influence on each other, eh? Well, what fun is a love of a certain food if you can’t enjoy it with the one you love? But as we have bonded over food, we have also had some poundage creep up in unwanted areas. 
Recently we started bonding over exercise and that has been the greatest motivator! What a difference it makes to have my man work out with me! One of our biggest reasons for getting in shape is to please each other. Though there were times in the past that we wanted to workout together, it has not been logistically possible until recently. Kids getting older and more self-sufficient is a big help. So, if you are at that very mom-reliant stage in life, hang in there, they DO grow up enough to be independent!
My husband and I have been working out with Tony Horton’s P90 videos. We went from level 1-2 to level 3-4 and are working our way up to the hardcore P90X that some of you may have seen on late night infomercials. We really bought it before the P90 but realized we were way out of shape to do the P90X version. So we have been working our way up the fitness ladder. The last two weeks have been somewhat of a set back with a house full of company and no time to exercise so we are jumping back in to the P90 3-4 for a week or two before diving in head first to the P90X.
Which brings me to why I am bothering to eek out a blog and bare my sugar loving soul to the world. I really do want to transform my body and my mind! I think I am finally sick enough of whining about it to do something whole hog. Not just exercise, but eating right too. I plan on writing about this journey and maybe even posting some pictures so others can see my progress. (Gulp!).
One thing I have learned is that what I want to accomplish cannot be done for myself, or even for my husband and family...at least not first and foremost. It must be to the glory of God as He gives me wisdom that I must be accountable for, now that He has revealed it to me. All this head knowledge about nutrition and exercise does NOT a healthy “me” make! I must put it into practice. 
James 4:17 “Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins.” 

Galatians 6:9 “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” 

Romans 12:1 “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.”
Just a few verses that the Lord has brought to mind. I think there are times when I try to convince myself that taking the time to exercise is a vain waste of time. I now feel like my reasons for wanting to get in shape have often been vain...but exercise is a tool that I can use to glorify God in my body, if I will allow Him to teach me this as a discipline. (Not the punishment type!). It is so NOT ME to grit my teeth and work super hard in order to physically do something that it will HAVE TO BE HIM! I have rested on my “born tall and skinny” laurels for too long. My metabolism has all but stopped with age and I need to actually work for the healthy physique that I am capable of having. 
My plan is to report in several times a week and give an update along with some food tips that may encourage your kitchen habits along the way too. Feel free to leave comments, tips or prayers! It would be great to know I was taking this journey with a few others this summer. 
I could go on and on...oh, if only working out came as easily as writing...

No comments: